Thursday, September 20, 2012

flowers made easy

it's ok to be terrible at flower arrangements right?
 
i couldn't create an elaborate flower arrangement if my life depended on it. 
side story,,,
on the morning of my bridesmaid's brunch,
i decided i was going to fill mason jars with lovely flower bunches. i wanted to do it on my own and surprise my mom (since she's fantastic at arranging flowers...) and impress her with my floral skills...
i had a nervous breakdown on the floor of my mama's laundry room.
needless to say, i have a high level of admiration for ladies with flower skills.
 
but really, flowers are lovely on their own, so i love displaying them in simple ways.  i've developed this little method for displaying fresh flowers in my apartment, sans stress and breakdowns.
 


[one]
find one or two or three buckets with an opening at the top that is smaller than the base.  if you choose a container that is solid, rather than see through, you don't have to worry about the way the stems are laying inside the container.

[two]
go to your grocery store or farmers market and purchase 2-3 bunches of blooms! :) if you're lucky, they will be on sale for $4/bunch. holla!

[three]
fill your buckets a little less than half way with cold water and add the plant food.

[four]
strip the leaves off of each stem.  be careful not to accidently rip off the buds!

[five]
line your flowers up and measure out how much you need to trim them.

[six]
snip snip!
trim a few stems at a time, at an angle. randomly select one stem at a time and create a bunch in your hand, then place in the bucket.

tadaaaaaaaa!
you have a beautiful arrangement for your island or coffee table.
 
here is a less blurry photo of this arrangement with different flowers:
flowers from HEB, bucket from IKEA.
 
and there you have it, flower arrangements for dummies.

 

6 comments:

  1. They look beautiful, and dang i love that bucket! :)
    I can't wait to take another trip to ikea (my list is growing way to large). I only have been once since the closest is 3 hours away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I am the exact same way with flower arrangements. It's harder than it looks! Love how you did these flowers and where did you get those buckets??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rustic look! I will have to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO pretty! I think you're a great little arranger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! That's how I do mine too...easy peasy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Love it! Cute container, and pretty flowers make it that much easier!!

    ReplyDelete